Regional Distribution of Strategic Vision Projects
Almost half of all Strategic Vision for Girls and Women related projects are being implemented in West and Southern Africa, and 69% (226 projects) are being implemented in Africa overall, including West, Southern, East and Central Africa. This reflects the priority DFID gives to African countries: 78% of DFID’s budget 2014/2015 was allocated to Africa.
25% of Strategic Vision related projects are based in other regions, e.g. Asia and the Caribbean, Western Asia, and Middle East and North Africa.
Only 2% of Strategic Vision related projects are being implemented in the Middle East and North Africa, mostly in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPTs) and Yemen. This compares with a modest 4% of DFID’s 2014/2015 budget invested in this region.
This analysis focuses on DFID’s 33 priority countries, as at 2011, when the two policy frames were adopted (see page 149-150 of the DFID Annual Report for details). We have organised the countries following DFID’s regional categorisation. Whilst DFID supports projects in the Caribbean, it does so through regional programming and none of the Caribbean countries are deemed priority countries. As a result, they do not feature in the list below. If a project is being implemented in multiple countries, it is counted in each country where it is operational. The same applies for regions, where a project is being implemented in multiple regions.
DFID Priority Countries
- Asia and Caribbean: Bangladesh, Burma, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Vietnam
- East and Central Africa: Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda
- Middle East and North Africa: Iraq, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Yemen
- Western Asia: Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan
- West and Southern Africa: Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Liberia, Mozambique, Malawi, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Global/ Other: Project and programmes that have a worldwide focus, such as global funds, or those that take place in a non-DFID focal country.